Monday, January 16, 2017

My Storybook Favorites

I chose three storybooks from past semesters that caught my attention and were enjoyable to read. They were each drastically different from each other, it was interesting to see the various directions this project could be taken.

The first one I chose was Chandler's Storybook called History Mysteries which took on the perspective of an old book as the narrator to expand on different topics in history and offer a creative idea of how certain events in history transpired. I think this one was my favorite because of its unique approach. The introduction gave a nice, informational glimpse of the stories to come while still maintaining the intriguing perspective. I have heard of Stonehenge but the spin this individual took in their story of the genesis of Stonehenge kept me entertained. The other stories were new to me and I enjoyed reading them. I also really liked the layout of this storybook, including the background they chose.


The second storybook I chose was The Trouble With Aesop's Animals. I definitely appreciated the humor in this one, it had multiple story lines so it was somewhat challenging to follow at times but I really liked their idea of following up with the characters once the story had ended to see how they were managing in their every day lives. I thought the approach of using Dr. Phil and Jerry Springer to analyze real life people/movie characters who were representing the animals in the fables was not only unique but also entertaining. I have obviously heard of both of these shows but never would I have thought to apply them to anything relating to Aesop's Fables. The introduction summed up their intentions of by giving a brief overview of everyone he planned to discuss. The background featured was the same as the last storybook I chose and I think it is a really good choice. 


The third and final storybook I chose was In a World of My Own which took a different approach on Alice in Wonderland and interwove various fairytales together. The introduction really drew me in and left me holding my breathe on a cliffhanger so that I was anxious to keep reading. I like how they added onto old stories we are all familiar with and by making them their own, made them new and exciting again. The design was very well chosen, it fit the story well and had a mystical feel. I liked the black background with white words, this was the first storybook I had seen that had utilized that. 








No comments:

Post a Comment